"And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped
him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manager,
because there was no place for them in the inn.
Thought For the Week
Jesus cares more about providing for the poor than pandering to the privileged. So as followers of Jesus shouldn't we also make providing for the poor a priority in our lives?
- Prayers for the family and friends of our members who have recently passed.
- Prayers for all of our members who are in the hospital or homebound.
- Prayers for children and youth of peace and protection during this school year.
- In the event of inclement weather during weekdays we will follow the local school system. So, if D.C. Public Schools are closed then the church is closed. During the weekend if the church is closed the voice mail greeting will indicate we are closed, we will also post the closing on our Facebook page and the church website and an e-mail will be sent. Be safe and always exercise caution while traveling.
- UMC#GivingTuesday- On Dec 1, you are invited to extend the spirit of giving thanks into the Advent season. UMC#GivingTuesday celebrates people joining around a common cause. With more than 800 United Methodist-related Advance projects and more than 300 missionaries, your church community has the opportunity to select a ministry that fits your mission focus. And every gift made online through The Advance on Dec 1, 2015 will be matched up to $1million
- Advent Bible Study- "Awaiting The Already", Friday, November 20, December 4, 11 & 18 12:30pm. (Alveta Jones)Tuesday, December 1, 8, 15 & 22. 12noon-1pm (Pastor Paul)The cost of the book is $10. Contact the church office for any questions. 202-398-3411.
- Please like our fan page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hughesmemorialunitedmethodistchurch.DC?ref=hl) and send invitations to your family and friends to like us too!
- Sunday, November 29th - Thursday, December 24th - Advent Intercessory Prayer Call in daily for prayer from 6:45am-7:00am. Conference call # (712) 775-7031; Meeting ID: 551-150-517.
- Tuesday, December 1st (Noon-1:00pm) Advent Bible Study, "Awaiting the Already". This bible study is taught by Pastor Paul.
- Tuesday, December 1st (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm) - Free Community Meal.
- Tuesday, December 1st (6:30pm - 8:00pm) C.A.P. (Community Anti-Violence Program)
- Wednesday, December 2nd (10:30am) Meals on Wheels. We take meals to seniors who are homebound.
- Thursday, December 3rd(10:00am) Veterans Program.
- Friday, December 4th (1:00pm-2:30pm) Advent Bible Study, facilitated by Alveta S. Jones.
- Friday, December 4th (7:00pm) Intergenerational Singers Rehearsal.
- Friday, December 4th (7:30 pm - 9:00 pm) - NA (Narcotics Anonymous) Meeting.
- Saturday, December 5th (3:00pm) Senior Choir Rehearsal.
- Saturday, December 5th (9am -1pm) Greater Washington United Methodist Women District Meeting- see sister Alveta Jones for details.
- Sunday, December 6th , Christmas Extravaganza sponsored by the youth. Come to the Fellowship Hall after worship and shop for a variety of small gift options.
- Sunday, December 13th (11:00am) Christmas Music Concert.
- December Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Christmas Holiday- Rich Church, Poor Church: Keys to Effective Financial Ministry by J. Clif Christopher is the December Book of the Month.
- Sunday, January 10th -"2015 Ministry Leader Appreciation / 2016 Ministry Leader Installation"
Community ResourcesPlease contact our Administrative Assistant, Sister Melanie to schedule church ministry events. You may click on the link below to check the availability of the Fellowship Hall: