"And Jesus answered him, The first of all the
commandments is, Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God,
the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God
with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with
all your mind, and with all your strength. The second
is this, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
There is no other commandment greater than
- Mark 12:29-31
Thought For the Week"Love is handing your heart to someone and taking
the risk that they will hand it back because they
don't want it." -Rob Bell
- Prayers for the family and friends of our members who have recently passed.
- Prayers for all of our members who are in the hospital or homebound.
- Prayers for children and youth of peace and protection during this school year.
- UMC#GivingTuesday- On Dec 1, you are invited to extend the spirit of giving thanks into the Advent season. UMC#GivingTuesday celebrates people joining around a common cause. With more than 800 United Methodist-related Advance projects and more than 300 missionaries, your church community has the opportunity to select a ministry that fits your mission focus. And every gift made online through The Advance on Dec 1, 2015 will be matched up to $1million.
- United to Stop Gun Violence- Tuesday, November 3 @7pm-Washington National Cathedral 3101 Wisconsin Ave, N.W. In the nation's house of prayer for all people, join with national elected officials, faith leaders, and gun violence prevention organizations to deepen our understanding of the terrible toll gun violence takes on the heart of our nation. Hear first-hand accounts from survivors of gun violence and connect with a growing number of organizations dedicated to bringing about commonsence gun laws. Admission if free.
- Fall Leadership Retreat-at West River- Saturday, November 21st, 9:00am-5:00pm. Ministry leaders are expected to attend but everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend as we will be developing a 5 year vision for our church (Hughes 2020) and implementation plan. The cost of the retreat is $10.75 (make all checks payable to Hughes Memorial UMC) which covers a continental breakfast and lunch. The van will be able for transportation. Registration deadline is Sunday, October 11th.
- Please like our fan page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hughesmemorialunitedmethodistchurch.DC?ref=hl) and send invitations to your family and friends to like us too!
- Tuesday, October 27th (Noon-1:00pm) Real Life Discipleship. This bible study is taught by Pastor Paul.
- Tuesday, October 27th (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm) - Free Community Meal.
- Tuesday, October 27th(6:30pm - 8:00pm) C.A.P. (Community Anti-Violence Program)
- Tuesday, October 27th (7:00pm) Men's Choir Rehearsal.
- Wednesday, October 28th (10:30 am) - Meals on Wheels We take meals to seniors who are homebound.
- Thursday, October 29th(10:00 am) - Veterans Program. Assist provided to veterans who are seeking benefits.
- Friday, October 30th (6:00pm-8:00pm) - Movie and Game night.
- Friday, October 30th (7:00pm) Intergenerational Singers Rehearsal.
- Friday, October 30th (7:30 pm - 9:00 pm) - NA (Narcotics Anonymous) Meeting.
- Saturday, October 31st (10:00am-3:00pm) Berean Fellowship.
- Saturday, October 31st (3:00pm) Senior Choir Rehearsal .
- November Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Thanksgiving Holiday - Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande is the November Book of the Month.
- Saturday, November 21st (9:00 am - 5:00 pm) - Fall Leadership Retreat at West River Retreat Center
- Sunday, November 22nd - Men's Day
December Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Christmas Holiday- Rich Church, Poor Church: Keys to Effective Financial Ministry by J. Clif Christopher is the December Book of the Month.
Community ResourcesPlease contact our Administrative Assistant, Sister Melanie to schedule church ministry events. You may click on the link below to check the availability of the Fellowship Hall: