Memory Verse"The Jesus said to them, "I ask you, is it lawful to do
good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save life or to
- Luke 6:9
Thought For the Week"New people bring a new day. New ministries
change the church. And part of the work of
leadership is constantly reminding people that
change is good, and that no church will thrive
unless it's willing to adapt itself to the mission
- Prayers for the family and friends of our members who have recently passed.
- Prayers for all of our members who are in the hospital or homebound.
- Prayers for children and youth as they begin a new school year.
- On October 12th, 11am, the entire Church of DC is invited to come to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial for prayer. Let's all seek God together! For more information go to : https://www.facebook.com/dcprays or www.washingtonprayergathering.org
- Please like our fan page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hughesmemorialunitedmethodistchurch.DC?ref=hl) and send invitations to your family and friends to like us too!
- Membership Orientation- If you are new to our faith community or if you would like to know more about being a disciple of Jesus Christ and what our membership vows mean in the United Methodist Church you are encouraged to take this eight week course (October 4th - November 22nd) on Sunday's between 1:30pm - 2:30pm. Contact Pastor Paul or call the church office to register.
- The Fall Senior Day Away at West River is scheduled for Thursday, October 1, 2015, 9 am to 3 pm. Registration is $28 per person to be paid by September 25th. Please see Peggie Outen for further information.
- Fall Leadership Retreat-at West River- Saturday, November 21st, 9:00am-5:00pm. Ministry leaders are expected to attend but everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend as we will be developing a 5 year vision for our church (Hughes 2020) and implementation plan. The cost of the retreat is $10.75 (make all checks payable to Hughes Memorial UMC) which covers a continental breakfast and lunch. The van will be able for transportation. Registration deadline is Sunday, October 11th.
- Tuesday, September 29th (Noon-1:00pm) Real Life Discipleship begins. This bible study is taught by Pastor Paul.
- Tuesday, September 29th (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm) - Free Community Meal.
- Tuesday, September 29th(6:30pm - 8:00pm) C.A.P. (Community Anti-Violence Program)
- Wednesday, September 30th (10:30 am) - Meals on Wheels We take meals to seniors who are homebound.
- Thursday, October 1st (10:00 am) - Veterans Program. Assist provided to veterans who are seeking benefits.
- Friday, October 2nd (12:30pm - 2:00pm) Strong Was Her Faith - Bible Study. Classes will take place every Friday from September 11th thru Oct 16th. Contact Sis Alveta Jones for more information.
- Friday, October 2nd (7:00pm) Intergenerational Singers Rehearsal.
- Friday, October 2nd(7:30 pm - 9:00 pm) - NA (Narcotics Anonymous) Meeting.
- Saturday, October 3rd (10:00am-3:00pm) Berean Fellowship.
- Saturday, October 3rd (10:00am-12:00pm) Fall Engagement Campaign.
- Saturday, October, 3rd (1:00pm-4:00pm) Senior Choir Rehearsal.
- Saturday, October 10th (2:00pm-5:00pm) Junior Usher's Spaghetti Dinner $10.00.
- Saturday, October 17th (1:00pm) Men's Day Fund Raising Concert.
- Thursday, October 22nd (7:00 pm - 9:00 pm) - 20019 Cluster Charge Conference will be held at Hughes Memorial UMC.
- Saturday, October 24th (10:00am - Noon) Book Reflection - Just Say Yes! Unleashing People for Ministry by Robert Schanese.
- November Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Thanksgiving Holiday - Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande is the November Book of the Month.
- Saturday, November 21st (9:00 am - 5:00 pm) - Fall Leadership Retreat at West River Retreat Center
- Sunday, November 22nd - Men's Day
December Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Christmas Holiday- Rich Church, Poor Church: Keys to Effective Financial Ministry by J. Clif Christopher is the December Book of the Month.
Community ResourcesPlease contact our Administrative Assistant, Sister Melanie to schedule church ministry events. You may click on the link below to check the availability of the Fellowship Hall: