Memory Verse"He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
- Micah 6:8
Thought For the WeekJustice and Mercy are teammates. You cannot do justice if you don't love mercy! And, conversely if you love mercy you will do justice!
- Prayers for the family and friends of Ronald Janifer, father of Ericka Janifer.
- Prayers for the family and friends of Rita Lewis.
- Prayers for the family and friends of our members who have recently passed.
- Prayers for all of our members who are in the hospital or homebound.
- Prayers for children and youth as they begin a new school year.
- Please like our fan page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/hughesmemorialunitedmethodistchurch.DC?ref=hl) and send invitations to your family and friends to like us too! Let's see if we can hit 200 likes before Homecoming!
- Membership Orientation- If you are new to our faith community or if you would like to know more about being a disciple of Jesus Christ and what our membership vows mean in the United Methodist Church you are encouraged to take this eight week course (October 4th - November 22nd) on Sunday's between 1:30pm - 2:30pm. Contact Pastor Paul or call the church office to register.
- The Fall Senior Day Away at West River is scheduled for Thursday, October 1, 2015, 9 am to 3 pm. Registration is $28 per person to be paid by September 25th. Please see Peggie Outen for further information.
- Please contact our Administrative Assistant, Sister Melanie to schedule church ministry events. You may click on the link below to check the availability of the Fellowship Hall:
- Tuesday, September 1st (Noon-1:00pm) Real Life Discipleship begins. This 12 week Bible Study is taught by Pastor Paul.
- Tuesday, September 1st (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm) - Free Community Meal.
- Tuesday, September 1st (6:30pm - 8:00pm) C.A.P. (Community Anti-Violence Program)
- Tuesday, September 1st (7:00pm-9:00pm) Men's Chorus Rehearsal.
- Wednesday, September 2nd (10:30 am) - Meals on Wheels We take meals to seniors who are homebound.
- Thursday, September 3rd (10:00 am) - Veterans Program. Assist provided to veterans who are seeking benefits.
- Friday, September 4th (7:30 pm - 9:00 pm) - NA (Narcotics Anonymous) Meeting.
- Friday, September 4th (7:00pm-9:00pm) Intergenerational Singers Rehearsal.
- Saturday, September 5th (10:00am-3:00pm) Berean Fellowship.
- Saturday, September 5th (1:00pm-4:00pm) Senior Choir Rehearsal.
- Wednesday, September 9th (11:00am-2:00pm) Funeral and Repass for Mr. Russell Robinson (neighbor of Lashawn Turner)
- Wednesday, September 9th (2:00 pm - 4:00 pm) Worship Planning Meeting
- The Hughes Seniors Fellowship begins its fall sessions on Thursday, September 10th at 12noon sharp. All seniors are invited to join the Hughes church family and friends every second Thursday of the month for a congenial time of spiritual harmony and genuine camaraderie that also includes food, fun and fellowship.
- Friday, September 11th (12:30pm - 2:00pm) Strong Was Her Faith - Bible Study. Classes will take place every Friday from September 11th thru Oct 16th. Contact Sis Alveta Jones for more information.
- Saturday, September 12th Funeral for Mrs. Mary Corley. Viewing 9:00am-11:00am, Funeral begins at 11:00am, Repass immediately following. Interment at Arlington Cemetery date to be announced .
- Interfaith Wise Men Fellowship- assembles every second Saturday of the month from 10:00am - 12pm, for prayer, scriptures, testimonies and fellowship beginning Saturday, September 12th.
- Sunday, September 13th (9:30am-10:30am) Covenant Discipleship Group Kick-off Meeting
- Saturday, September 19th (1:00 am - 2:00 pm) - Fall Neighborhood Engagement Campaign. (DATE CHANGE)
- Saturday, September 26th (10:00 am - 2:00 pm) - Community Day.
- Saturday, September 26th (10:00am-Noon) Book Reflection - Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson.
- Saturday, October 3rd (10:00 am - Noon) - Worship Training Workshop
- Saturday, October 17th (1:00pm) Men's Day Fund Raising Concert.
- Thursday, October 22nd (7:00 pm - 9:00 pm) - 20019 Cluster Charge Conference will be held at Hughes Memorial UMC.
- Saturday, October 24th (10:00am - Noon) Book Reflection - Just Say Yes! Unleashing People for Ministry by Robert Schanese.
- November Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Thanksgiving Holiday - Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End by Atul Gawande is the November Book of the Month.
- Saturday, November 21st (9:00 am - 5:00 pm) - Fall Leadership Retreat at West River Retreat Center
- Sunday, November 22 - Men's Day
December Book Reflection - will not be held due to the Christmas Holiday- Rich Church, Poor Church: Keys to Effective Financial Ministry by J. Clif Christopher is the December Book of the Month.